Saturday, August 10, 2013

Home Sweet Home wooden sign

I am totally obsessed with wood signs.  Pretty sure my house is going to be plastered with them at some point.  Maybe I'll dedicate a whole wall for them.  :)  Ok, probably not but I do enjoy making them! 
 
For this sign I decided to go with the good ol' "Home Sweet Home".  I swear, figuring out which font to use is the hardest part!  I chose a few different ones and then took a vote from my Facebook friends on which one they liked the best:
 
 
 
Forgive the poor picture quality, most of these are taken with my cell phone.
Most people liked the 2nd set.
While I was still figuring out which one I wanted, I decided to start painting the base coats.  I went with cream and a red color.
 
 
Decision time!  Which font do I go with??? 
Most voters liked the swirly fonts the best but for me, it was a little TOO much of swirly so I decided to actually go with the font in the 2nd picture for the words "Home" and the font from the 1st picture for "Sweet".
 
 
I thought it was a good compromise!  :)
This was after one coat of black.  After it had dried I went back over it to make it smoother.
Painting words is hard for me because I'm naturally a shaky person so I get a lot of squiggles where I don't want squiggles so I have to try to go very
S L O W L Y.
 
I then used my trusty antique glaze after I sanded down the edges and scratched up the words a little bit, to give it a more distressed look (my favorite).
It was hard deciding what exactly to use to hang the sign but I ended up using twine.  I then added a burlap flower and some cute bakers twine to give it more personality. 
 
 
I think it turned out SUPER CUTE! 
I'm hoping the flower stays on good!  It sticks out a little ways but hopefully it's hung in a spot in my hallway that won't get bumped or rubbed against too much to knock it off. 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Girl you need paint pens! They make those skinny fonts so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOW you tell me! LOL! Where do you get them? I wonder if Joann's has them (I have COUPONS LOL)...maybe I'll swing by there tomorrow and check! I have so many more signs I want to make and paint pens would make life a whole lot easier! :)

      Delete
  2. Yep they have them, Walmart has them too!

    ReplyDelete