Monday, July 1, 2013

Hutch makeover

So my awesomely amazing husband built me the bottom section of a hutch a few months ago.  He'll eventually build the top section for it but has been busy with other building projects.  I wanted to paint it with an antique glaze but no one in our small town sells the glaze so I opted to paint it with a layer of brown paint and then covered it with white paint and sanded down areas all around it so you could see the brown.  I chose a brighter white than I should have and it really bugged me because it wasn't looking the way I wanted it to.  Yesterday I got a wild hair and decided it was finally time to fix it!

This is what it originally looked like after I had painted it:

So I took it out and was going to sand it down quite a bit but then hubby thought that it wasn't necessary so the top part got a lot more sanding done to it than the rest of it:





I then ran to Walmart and chose a cream color to paint over it.  Here's how it looked after one coat of the cream:


It already looked SOOOO much better in my opinion!  I did add a 2nd coat of cream just because there were some spots on the top that really needed it!  A few weeks ago the family & I took a trip out of town and was able to spend over an hour at *insert angelic singing* HOME DEPOT!!!  YAY!  I love that store and could spend a crazy amount of time in it!  Anyways, I finally got my hands on some antiquing glaze (which I used on my Welcome post on Friday) so I added some to the hutch!  
I think it turned out fabulous and I am so much more in love with this piece of furniture!


Just for fun, here's a side-by-side of the two looks:


MUCH better!!!

Now I can't wait for hubby to get the top built!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment